Not all bacteria are bad guys! Probiotics are a type of good bacteria that help in the maintenance of good gut health. Good gut health has been shown to improve your general physical and mental wellbeing. Probiotics are found in fermented foodstuffs, such as sauerkraut and probiotic (bio) yoghurts.
Okay so then what are prebiotics? The same thing? They are actually non digestible carbohydrates that act as food for probiotics. When taken together they make a great team to ward off the bad and the ugly bacteria! Prebiotics are found in wholegrains, bananas, onions, garlic, soybeans and artichokes.
Now there are times when the hardworking good guy bacteria in our gut are reduced in number. For example after taking a course of antibiotics which can kill off the good as well as the bad and the ugly bacteria! Or following a bout of diarrhoea, where the good guys are simply flushed away! At times like these, a probiotic supplement can help to replenish your stores of good bacteria.
And if the above mentioned dietary sources of pre and pro biotics don’t figure high on your menu, taking a regular probiotic supplement could improve your gut health and general wellbeing.
There is evidence that probiotics may also help:
- In the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- In the treatment of Colitis
- To prevent or reduce the severity of colds and flu
- To ease allergic disorders such as eczema and hay fever
So as you can see, probiotics make the best of neighbours!
Kirwans’s Pharmacy now stock the Optibac Range of probiotic products. The Optibac range uses probiotic species and strains which have been scientifically researched and clinically trialled.
This range includes formulations specifically designed for:
- Pregnant & Breast feeding Mothers
- Infants & Children
- People on antibiotics – the product is proven to start to work even whilst still taking the antibiotics
- Women who suffer from thrush, urinary infections, bacterial vaginosis and vaginal dryness
Get in touch with us online or phone 051 294256 to find out which Optibac Product is the right one for you.